“To provide social and emotional learning through the arts and provide academic enrichment in an inclusive setting.”
Who Are We?
Art Expression, Inc. is a 501(c) (3) charitable organization that was founded by James and Angela Lowden in 2001 as an expression of their passion for alleviating the social inequalities that exist among children of different abilities and backgrounds. It is a fully inclusive after-school program, offered free of charge to students, that focuses on developing the social skills of children through art in the Pittsburgh area.Art therapy is not performed during the sessions, but some of the components of art therapy are used to develop positive outcomes for students.
Who Do We Serve?
Art Expression, Inc. has served over 10,000 children in urban, suburban and rural school districts and community organizations in Allegheny, Fayette, Greene, Washington, and Westmoreland counties.
The goals of Art Expression Inc. are as follows:
- Increase self-esteem, creative self-expression and independence through the arts and discussion
- Enhance social and anti-bullying skills by providing an inclusive environment
- Students learn to respect personal space, share materials and positively communicate with each other
- Students develop greater coping and resiliency skills to address the impacts of physical, verbal and social bullying
- Students develop greater empathy toward others as they learn to respect others’ points of view
- Improve problem-solving skills and frustration tolerance
- Develop the ability to both give and receive help
- Reinforce academic core standards
- Students will strengthen basic academic concepts and their artistic abilities
- Increase leadership skills